Rehab/Mobility Educational Info
Rehab / Mobility Educational Information
Here are answers to some of the most common questions about rehab / mobility equipment, services and supplies, from Reliable Medical Supply.
Q: What steps are required for Medicare and Medicare Replacement policies for obtaining a power wheelchair or manual wheelchair?
A: The typical steps that need to be followed are:
A face-to-face appointment with your doctor to specifically discuss mobility needs. The doctor will create notes based on the observations and will make recommendations.
- A mobility evaluation with a therapist. The therapist will take measurements and make suggestions on the best equipment to fit your needs.
- Trial of equipment. You will be able to use a trial version of the suggested equipment to make sure it fits your needs.
- Obtain your doctor’s signature on medical justification which might include: detailed prescription, chart notes that contain notes about your need for a power wheelchair, algorithm, seven-element order (which needs to contain the date of your face-to face – explained by Medicare as the date the physician signs off on the letter of medical necessity), detailed product description (which must be signed and dated after the seven-element order), authorization request for mobility equipment form, and/or a letter of medical necessity (LMN)
- Receive insurance authorization. Reliable Medical Supply will work with your insurance company to obtain the necessary documentation and authorizations.
- Collect any co-pay. Any portion of the new equipment cost that is not covered by your insurance must be collected at this time before the equipment is ordered.
- Order equipment. Reliable Medical Supply will order your new equipment based on the recommendations of the doctor and therapist.
- Set up equipment. After the new equipment is received, our rehab technicians will set up the equipment based on your fitted specifications.
- Deliver equipment. You can pickup the equipment at our office or a rehab technician can deliver the equipment to your location. Final adjustments will be made at this time to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. You will be required to sign a delivery ticket to confirm you have received your new equipment.
Q: How long will it be until I receive my new equipment?
A: There are several things that contribute to how long this will take.
- The demo process. If you try several demos before you find the equipment that is right for you.
- How long it takes to get the documentation (LMN) from your Therapist.
- How long it takes for your doctor to sign and complete the necessary documentation.
- Does your insurance require a Prior Authorization? If yes, then we must receive all documentation from your insurance first. It can take anywhere from two to eight weeks for a response from the insurance, depending on the insurance company.
- How long it takes for the manufacturer to get the equipment to us, from the time of order, to delivery to our location.
- Your equipment may require assembly and set up before we delivery to you.
- Your equipment may need to be sent to a third party for further setup.
- Setting up a time to deliver the equipment that meets everyone’s schedules. Also, is the phone number and address we have on file current for you?
Each of these factors may contribute to the length of time it will take to process your new equipment order.
Q: Is there a resource to help with documentation for reimbursement?
A: Click here for more information.